Friday, November 12, 2010

Bows or Baseballs...The Details

Thank you so much for your sweet comments and phone calls. We are so excited to share our news with you. I thought I'd go ahead and document everything so one day we can look back on all the details.

On the morning of Sept 24th I woke up really early with a sneaking suspicion that I might be pregnant. So at about 5 :45 I finally got out of bed, threw on some clothes and headed to Walmart. When I got home I told Zak, who was still asleep, I was going to take a pregnancy test. I knew he heard me but I knew he was still fast asleep and had no clue what was going on. After I took the test, and waited what felt like forever for that 2 minutes to pass, I saw the + on the screen.
After reading the directions over and over, and checking that I had read it right, I stood over Zak and said, "Do you want to see the test?" I know he wondered what on earth was going on but he jumped up quickly and had the best reaction. We've known that we wanted to have another baby for a while now we just wanted to the timing to be just right. I think the timing is perfect!

I called that day to make an appointment with my Dr. but the appointment wasn't for a month later. After a little research and calculating online I figured I was exactly 4 weeks pregnant and I thought the due date would be June 3rd 2011.

I went out immediately to buy Colton a "Big Brother" shirt. We couldn't keep the secret from our family so we used the shirt to tell our family our exciting news.
We also told Colton right away that he was going to be a big brother. When you ask him, "Where is the baby? " He points to my tummy and says "Mommys baby." We know he has no idea what is about to happen but we know he will be a big help and make an awesome big brother.

At 5 weeks morning sickness started to kick in. For a few weeks it was really bad. So bad, I could barely get out of bed and wondered how long I could do this for. Poor Colton has suffered along with me. We had to miss out on MOPS meetings, playdates and other fun outings. He's been so good to his mommy, letting me lay on the couch and rest while he brings me every car in the house and plays on his own. After a few really tough weeks God graced me with a good week. I guess it was to remind me that I could do it. Since my good week my days have been up and down. It sounds silly but I feel different and at the same time similar to how I felt with Colton. Some things are worse this time around and some things, like my sense of smell, aren't so bad. I have so many food aversions but I'm always starving. Not much ever sounds very appetizing, especially during the day. At night I'm usually able to eat a good meal and during the day I just try to eat small meals, often. The exhaustion is bad. Having a full time job is nothing on having a toddler. I've also suffered from some pretty bad headaches and two horribly long colds. The exciting part, this time, is knowing how worth it all of this will be in the end. Looking at Colton each day reminds me that this pain and suffering will be over before I know it and we will have another little one running around to love.

On October 25th we went in for our first Dr. visit. After being there almost 4 hours, and missing out on seeing the Dr. because she had to leave for a delivery, we end up getting to see our baby. (I think the nurse felt bad for our long wait and fit us in with the ultra sound tech.) Baby Day measured at 8 weeks and 3 days, which is exactly where we thought we were and had a heart beat of 163 bpm. We were over the moon to see that things were going well.

We are excited about what's to come. It seems like its all been going so much faster this time. I guess life is just a little busier this time around. I am 11 weeks today and the past week has been pretty good. My morning sickness has not been as bad as it was in past weeks (knock on wood) and I have had a little more energy to get up and going. I hope that the worst of the sickness is over and that I really get to enjoy this pregnancy. We are excited to find out what we will be having in January. Either way, boy or girl, we will be so happy. I thought I'd just have to have a girl this time around but honestly I've had so much fun with Colton that I'd love to have another boy. So, bows or baseballs I just pray for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy number 2.

5 comments:

AmazingGreis said...

I am so excited!!! You and Zak are amazing parents, can't wait to find out what #2 will be! Love ya'll!

XOXO

Lauri said...

So sorry to hear you've been so sick. I completely understand -- I was the same with both my kids until about 20 weeks so the gender didn't seem to make a difference. I'll pray that you've turned a corner and that you have nothing but good days from here on out!

Kellie Staats said...

I am soooo excited for yall too!!! You are such a great mom, you are going to be an awesome mom of 2!!!

Ginger @ GReads! said...

I'm sorry you've been sick. But you said it best, it's all for a good reason! Candace just started her 2nd trimester on Saturday ..I can't wait to find out what they're having :-)

Erika said...

CONGRATS!!!! So happy for you and your family