Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bigger and Better Things...

Today was officially my LAST DAY as a kindergarten teacher at Post Elementary! I am now, officially, a STAY AT HOME MOMMY! I thought I might be a little sad to leave, and I have had a few moments, but I have butterflies of excitement about what lays ahead!

The past 6 years have been full of so many good times, hard times, rewarding times and challenging times. I'll never forget my first week of teaching when I had to file a police report on a parent, yes a police report! After making it through the first week I thought I could do anything but the first year was quite a challenge. Teaching was so much more involved than just teaching, there were parents to deal with, kids to discipline, papers to file and keep up with, supplies to buy, and tests to be given. After making it through the 1st year I felt empowered, I could do anything. Then, year two started and my little classroom got smaller and smaller as more and more kids continued to pile in. By the end of the first week I had about 33 5 year olds, with no help. The first three weeks were crazy, we hired two new teachers and things calmed down. Then, Hurricane Katrina hit and we gave up hope that we would have a normal year, with our numbers growing again. After year two, I KNEW 100% I could do anything, and I did! Teaching was a challenge and that's what made it fun! When I look back on what I accomplished with my kids, it still amazes me. I had kids who came into my class not knowing how to write their name and they left, at the end of the year, reading, writing, adding and subtracting. I have had my fair share of challenging kids but I'd like to focus for a second on the ones who kept me doing what I loved to do. In the past 6 years I've had so many kids who have made a huge impact on me by what they have learned, how much they have grown, and how much they care. One amazing thing about my job, the thing I'll miss the very most, are the hugs and the unconditional love. Some of the kids I have worked with have been extremely fortunate some, on the other hand, have been extremely disadvantaged. Some parents were overly involved and some parents I never even met. No matter what their background, they just wanted love! I will miss the hugs each morning as they came into class and each afternoon as they got on the bus. I'll miss seeing the kids grow up before my eyes.
In the past 6 years I've made some amazing friends. Some I'll leave behind and some have already moved on.
I will miss taking with these two ladies every day.

'
As I leave a job I loved, most days, I move on to bigger and better things! Thanks to Zak I get to try my "dream job", something I've always dreamed of being, a stay at home mommy. And that job starts today! I know its going to be the most challenging thing I have ever done but also the most rewarding!
This past week has been so special.
Kellie and Jessica have made work so memorable and everyone has been so supportive of our decision. Kellie and Jessica put together a few surprises this week, one of which included breakfast this morning.

Zak brought home 6 pink roses last night. One for each year I've taught.
Then, tonight Zak took me and Colton out for my "retirement" dinner at Alicia's.
It's been an amazing and emotional week but I'm ready for a change, I'm ready for bigger and better things, I'm ready for some COLTON time!

8 comments:

Jude's Mom said...

Congratulations! I hope to someday be promoted to that same position and title! :-)

Kellie Staats said...

Aw I almost started to cry! I am going to miss you at work!!! Cuz.. You are stuck with me this summer..

Colton is lucky to have you as his mommy!!!

Ginger @ GReads! said...

Aww I remember you telling me about that police report you filed your first week of teaching, haha! That was really 6 years ago?! wow!

I'm so happy for you, that you're able to stay home with Colton. I was blessed to come from a stay-at-home-mommy too :) and it WILL make a huge impact on Colton as he grows older!!!

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Hooray! You made it! I am so excited that you are gonna spend loads of time with Colton. You will have such a great time! I miss you guys!

Amazing Greis said...

Today your new journey begins and I'm so happy for you. Colton is a LUCKY, LUCKY boy!

Miss ya bunches. See ya soon!!!

Leah J. said...

You will L-O-V-E being a SAHM!!!

Tricia said...

Yay! You are going to love being at home!

Missy said...

Hi Catherine. Congrats on getting to stay at home with your little one! Glad you found my blog, and you are more than welcome to "stalk." :) Thanks for leaving a comment.