Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sleep, I miss you.

Just a little update... Sunday February 12
Chase took one night of crying it out (for 45 minuets), after waking up in the middle of the night, to get back in the swing of sleeping through the night.  It ended up being a really long night because he woke up Colton in the process and I was wide awake after everyone finally fell asleep.  Needless to say Colt didn't earn a sticker on night one because he slept with us. 
Night two, Chase woke up and fussed for less than 10 minutes and fell back asleep. I had to wake him the next morning.  Colton also slept through the night, earning his first sticker! 
Then, the past 3 nights Chase and Colton have both slept through the night and it's been amazing!!! Just one more sticker and Colt has earned his ice cream!
Since Chase did so well with crying it out at bedtime we decided, well I decided, it was time to try it during nap since he never sleeps in a bed at nap.  Day one of CIO at nap was tough.  Probably the toughest CIO I've ever done (even with Colt). I laid him down and he woke up right away.  I knew he was tired and not wet or hungry so I let him cry, for 45 minutes.  It was awful.  Colt and I played but I wanted to go get him so badly.  After 45 minutes of screaming he finally he napped for about an hour.  Today Chase had two naps in his bed. The first one was about 30 minutes and the second was about an hour, never waking up.  Its tough but CIO works for us and I am so thankful for my sleep!!!


Sleeping has become a thing of the past this last month in the Day house and mommy and daddy are tired! 
Since Chase got his first two teeth at the beginning of January he has only slept through the night a handful of times.  He wakes up, I change his diaper and we rock and cuddle for about 30 minutes.  He usually falls right back to sleep in my arms so I know he's tired and just waking up because he's moveing around. After he falls asleep in my arms, I put him down and sometimes he stays asleep sometimes he wakes up again. Last night he was up 3 or 4 times.  Its all a blur. Waking up and knowing mommy will come get him has just become habit.  
Another habit we have started is having Colton in bed with us.  He comes into us most nights, and because we're tired, we let him stay.  For a little guy, he sure can take up a lot of space. 




  (Both of these were taken in the morning.  Chase wakes up between 6:30 or 7, and because we're so tired, I usually bring him to lay in bed with us for an hour.  Yes, another bad habit.  Not one we're going to worry about now.)





You don't remember how much you appreciate a nights sleep until you don't have it anymore. As much as I love waking up to Colts sweet little face and cuddling on Chase through out the night, I miss my sleep.  Every night I go to bed wondering how  long I have until some one crawls into bed with me or I hear cries from the other room.  

So, tonight we are going to let Chase "cry it out" and Colton and I made a sleep chart earlier today for him.  Chase has tried to "cry it out" before but he cries, hard.  I always give into him.  Not tonight.  We've got to get this sleeping under control.  We know he can sleep through the night.  Colton has his chart on the dishwasher and when he sleeps through the night, in his bed, he gets a sticker. After 5 stickers we get to go have ice cream with sprinkles. 





Like everything else we will take it one day at a time and be patient.  
I hope tonight goes well.
  

Photobucket

2 comments:

Mireya Garcia said...

I read ur cute lil' blog and so funny our boys are too far apart!

Ne who, let me tell ya I'm not a sales rep or ne none sense like that. But I swear by teething necklaces. I was very skeptical as a friend had told me about them, but gave it a shot. (Really had nothing to lose) And let me tell ya my boy is so much better. I leave it on him ALL day except during naps and bedtime and his right top tooth is coming in rite now and he sleeps so much better. Honestly they are amazing. He doesn't chew on it, it's a natural remedy that mixes with the chemistry of the baby's body heat and releases a natural pain reliever from the amber. My son is in Gymboree and I tell every mom about it. It truly is a life saver! Amazon sells them, but be sure to get the ones from Inspired by Flinn sellers (some sellers are claiming to be teething necklaces, but are frauds) or you can visit their website www.inspiredbyflinn.com ... GOOD luck!! Hope this helps your lil dude..and PS he's absolutely adorable

Lauri said...

As much as I LOVED the infant days and sure miss having one, those long nights without sleep always did me in. I can handle anything EXCEPT sleep deprivation. We did "cry it out" for both kids when they were 3-4 months. For Connor it only took 3 nights. For Kaitlynn, it took FOREVER. OK, not forever, but it FELT like forever! You're doing the right thing to correct it now, though, before it gets worse. Good luck!!!