Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The start of a new journey

When I left teaching, I thought I'd never look back. I packed up everything after giving away tons and tons of teaching materials with the hopes that I may never need it again. I knew my whole life that my "dream job" was to be a stay-at-home-mom and wife. For the last year, I have enjoyed every single minute of being at home with Colton and taking care of my family but I have missed teaching. I really loved teaching. I loved the planning, I loved the organizing, I loved the lessons and I loved the kids. This summer I got the opportunity to interview at Foundry, a local church, and was offered a position. It was exactly what I was looking for, 2 days a week for 5 hours a day, teaching 4-5 years olds and Colton could come with me for free! The money's not much, but every little bit will help and being able to have Colton right there with me is just perfect. He will be just 2 doors down in Mother's Day Out (MDO) with the two sweetest teachers. I'm still, first and foremost, a stay-at-home-mommy and wife. Instead of thinking of this as "work" (which scares me to death and makes me feel like I'm not a stay-at-home-mom anymore)I am going to think of Foundry as my new "hobby". It'll be a time for me to be creative and teach and a time for Colton to grow and learn. After our first day of inservice and a few days of setting up my room I feel part of the "Foundry Family". Everyone is so kind and welcoming and the freedom to teach as I want is awesome. I am so excited about the start of this new journey!

7 comments:

bethany said...

Sounds to me like the PERFECT balance!!

Ginger @ GReads! said...

I think that's awesome you'll have Colton so close by. That's definitely a blessing. Good luck in your new adventure! I'm sure you'll do great with it :-)

amy said...

Oh My goodness! How PERFECT!!! Enjoy!

~Holly~ said...

Congrats Catherine...it looks like you have the best of both worlds!

AmazingGreis said...

What an amazing opportunity!!! You will be amazing with the kids, they will LOVE you and I think you will really enjoy being a teacher again, even if just for 2 days.

Congrats on this new opportunity and so happy that Colton will be so close!

XOXO

Kellie Staats said...

You are going to do GREAT..but I still miss you at Post.

Becky said...

you need to post lots of pictures of your kids and of Cotlon at meet the teacher and everything. I know you'll be awesome because you arealdy did this teaching thing once and you were pretty awesome then. :) I love you and want to hear all about your new daylighting position!!