Friday, March 25, 2011

30 weeks and a bit of a scare


I am 30 weeks today! For some reason that just seems like a mile stone. I'm starting to go to the Dr. every two weeks and in less than 10 weeks Chase will be in my arms! This past week people (strangers) started commenting and congratulating me on the baby. Although the belly is definitely there, it's still small (or so everyone tells me, I'm still feeling huge.) I went to the Dr. on Wednesday and I gained 2 lbs. For some reason that stung a little bit. Like I've said before I lost about 12-15 lbs in the beginning and since week 15 I've only put on 2 lbs, so to gain 2 lbs in 4 weeks, well I guess I won't complain! When I went into the Drs office on Wednesday, I felt a little anxious, I'm not sure why but I even told my Cousin about it. I had a list of a couple things I wanted to talk to her about. 1. Getting a tour of the new hospital 2. Cordblood 3. My tailbone hurting so badly 4. Heart burn and taking medication every day. (I'd rather not take the medicine, but she assured me it would be just fine and prescribed me something to take instead of Prevacid.) Before I could even ask her about any of these things she asked me if I was having contractions. I said, "Yes, I feel a lot." I went on to tell her they weren't contractions that felt like cramping or anything like that just tightening in my stomach sometimes so much that it hurt. Most of them being very uncomfortable and happening anytime I sat down for any amount of time and then stood up. She immediately changed her demeanor. She went from bubbly and happy to serious very quickly. I could tell in her face this wasn't "normal". I assured her that I had felt the same thing with Colton but that wasn't good enough. She checked me and I was not dilated but she still wanted to run an FfN Test. She said this test would test to see if I was at risk for preterm labor. What!?! I thought this was just normal, everyone feels Braxton Hicks Contractions. I had been feeling these contractions since 17 weeks. At this point I was a nervous wreck. I knew for some reason I didn't feel 100% about this visit, was this why? Was I in preterm labor? She explained that if this test came back positive I would go on bed rest immediately. Bed Rest? With a 2 year old? Beside thinking about how impossible that would be I couldn't stop thinking about how early it was. I didn't want Chase to be born 10 weeks early. Although 30 weeks seems like such a milestone, it's still way too early for my little man. After she did the test I asked her exactly how many contractions were "abnormal". She said 8 to 10 and hour. In my mind I thought "Wooohooo...I'm not having near that many". Then, I started to really pay attention to those contractions that I was so use to feeling. I realized in one hour of sitting in the Drs office I had about 3-4. Then, the remainder of the day I continued having them, sometimes 8-10 an hour. Nothing was every consistent though. I waited the 24 hours the test would take and called the next afternoon.


I'm happy to report, it was just a scare. The FfN Test came back negative. I was elated! It was just a scare but it made me realize that I push it too much sometimes. Sometimes I have to take it a little easier. I know that's hard to do with a 2 year old but for Chases safety, it's a must. I've had it pretty easy this pregnancy and I'd say I've been very blessed. Yes, I went through 15 weeks of awful morning, noon and night sickness and I've been very uncomfortable but I've been healthy. No red flags anywhere 'til this week. As time progresses I'm having more trouble moving around and getting up, I'm sleeping less and peeing more, my back and body ache whether I'm sitting standing or laying down and I'm having trouble catching my breath. But...as time progresses, I am feeling Chase more and more. I feel his hiccups, his little toes pushing through my belly, I feel him move when we talk to him and these are things I'm so thankful for. All the discomfort in the world couldn't make me love this any less (well maybe just a little). I love that my belly is showing and people are asking me about my Chase. I love that Colton says "Good mornin' Chase" to my belly every morning and checks on his brother throughout the day. I love feeling Chase and knowing he's okay. I want to remember all of this, the good the bad and the ugly because it's all such a blessing and I know no matter how tough it is I'll miss this.
(Sorry about this last picture. I regretted not having more belly pics of Colton in the end. Chases "home" needs some sun!)

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I have the same problem! Contractions constantly and this pain in my lower back that is almost unbearable with a contraction. I have a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old and I'm on unofficial bedrest...but someone forgot to tell them that! Good luck with the last few weeks of ur pregnancy! My baby dropped already and my doc doesnt think it'll be much longer! :( 8{ Oh goodness....am I ready for this? Love reading ur blog!

AmazingGreis said...

You look fabulous!!! Love the belly, can't wait to see you next week! Miss you!

Ashley said...

Glad all is OK. Get some rest and take it easy. (I know that is hard to do with a little one)

Chase will be here before you know it.

Lauri said...

No doubt you FEEL very pregnant, but girl, you look way too good to be so far along! You barely look like you're in the 2nd trimester! That was very similiar to my pregnancy with Kaitlynn, plus I had those early contractions too. They sent me to the L&D unit several times to monitor. I'm so glad it wasn't anything serious for you and at least now you know what/how to keep an eye on it. I can't believe Chase will be here so soon, before we know it!! :-)