Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little Things

Sorry I haven't posted any "Day Family News" lately. To be honest, I haven't wanted to put a blog on top of Sweet Maddies blog post. It's been a heartbreaking and sad 2 weeks but my dear friend, Kellie has had a huge impact on how I want to live my life. Her story has made me realize how important the little moments are and how tomorrow is never promised. These past two weeks I have smothered Colton with more kisses than I can count and I've tried to let everyone know how much I appreciate them.
Here are a few of the little things I won't take for granted...

PLAYING OUTSIDE...
We have been having amazing weather her in Houston so we've taken advantage of it and spent so much time playing outside.
(Yes, hes in his car, in the back of Zaks truck. He wanted to load up Daddy's 4 wheeler but settled for loading up his car.)

SCHOOL...
Colton and I both LOVE school. It's such a blessing to get to do something I love to do (teach) and be right down the hall from my sweet baby boy all day long. (Well all 5 hours.) Colton is doing really well. He comes home talking about the things hes done in class and has even, for the first time, started talking about his friends. It warms my heart to hear him go down the list of his little school buddies. He's so comfortable at school that there are never problems leaving him in the morning or even passing by his room and blowing him a kiss or waving. He smiles back and carries on with his day. I'm so proud of him and were both looking forward to going back for the next school year.


HAVING A BIG HELPER...
Colton's always loved to help but now he's instant. Yes, things take a little more time but he actually is becoming a help. Some of his "chores" include feeding Sadie, emptying the dryer and dishwasher, and of course helping out daddy anytime tools are needed. When he knows the dishwasher has to be emptied he will go get two clean dish rags. One for me and one for him. He does a pretty good job of getting things dry. He also puts away all the silverware and wants no help doing that.
LUNCH DATE WITH DADDY...
Last week Zak called and asked Colton and me to meet him at Double Daves for lunch. (YUM) It was such a nice treat to see him during the day. At the end of lunch, Colton got to try out his first video game. He drove into the ocean a few times but he loved it.
THE RODEO COOK-OFF...
Last Saturday Zak and I enjoyed a night at the Rodeo cook off. He had to be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday (for work) and I couldn't handle three nights but I enjoyed our time on Saturday. We met up with some friends, had some yummy BBQ, watched a lot of crazy people and I even got cotton candy at the end of the night all while spending time with the best husband around! Who could ask for more?



COLTON'S BIG BOY ROOM...
Colton is in his room and doing great with it and he has been since the first night we put him in there. He loves his room. He loves to show it off and he loves to go to sleep in there. The only thing he doesn't love is to sleep in! We've been blessed with a great sleeper. When he was in his crib he'd wake up happy as could be and play for ages in his crib, not wanting to get out. Now that he's in his big boy bed he has the freedom to get out of bed and come right in to us. We've always wanted him to come lay in bed with us in the mornings, unfortunately this does not happen. He comes in, sometimes quietly for a few minutes, and then immediately starts demanding things. He wants the TV on, juice to drink, a trip to the potty... Although its not always the easiest way to wake up I count my blessings each morning I see his sweet little head bob into the room. I usually fight for 5- 10 minutes more in bed and then we get up and start our morning which consists of a long rock and a cuddle, cup of juice/milk and one of his favorite DVRd TV shows. Now, that's a perfect way to start a morning, even if it is 6 or 6:30! I have to share this picture of his bed. Since he moved into his new room hes started loving his lovies. Hes chosen a few animals from his collection, he adopted an old taggie blanket I was going to pass down to Chase (bc he never liked it as a baby), he ofcourse still has his camo pillow and star blanket, and now hes taking things every time he goes to Nanny and Grandads to add to his collection. Soon enough he won't have enough room for himself.

A HEALTHY PREGNANCY...
I am 26 weeks pregnant and can not believe it. The "bump" looks bigger some days than others but for the most part when I tell people how far along I am the don't believe me and say I look too small. I lost about 12-15 lbs in the beginning with the morning sickness and since 15 weeks I've only put on 2-3 lbs. The Dr. said I just maybe blessed. I say, it'll catch up with me...I still have 3 months. 3 months!?!?! That sounds crazy. I can't believe Chase will be here in 3 months! I feel much more prepared this time around. We've finally registered and Zak got down all of Colts old baby things. Things need to be cleaned up and put back together. Clothes need to be washed. We need to to take a tour of the hospital (since my Dr. changed hospitals on us). And, very importantly, we need to call about Cord Blood. Not too bad for my to-do list. I think we're doing pretty good! Pregnancy wise I'm doing well. Chase is kicking like a champ. He kicks all day and night. Anytime I sit down he goes to town. I don't remember feeling this much with Colton, maybe I did. Thankfully, I did not have to take a Glucose Test this time around. With Colton, I had a very bad reaction to the test so my Dr. said I didn't need to go through that and did blood work instead. I found out today that the blood work came back just fine. I am at a very low risk for Gestational Diabetes. I'll have my blood tested again but the Dr. thinks things will be just fine. I was having really bad heartburn that would keep me up at night but the Dr. told me to try Prevacid and it has worked wonders!!! I am feeling uncomfortable, but what's new? I have felt uncomfortable this whole pregnancy. I don't mind though, its all for Chase! Feeling uncomfortable is just a reminder of my sweet little growing boy. I am blessed to have had such a helathy pregnancy so far. I'll take uncomfortable any day over a serious or even minor problem! Here is my 26 week picture (taken last Friday). For some reason, the bump was looking very small in these pictures?
This might be my favorite all time picture. Coltons always by my side for my Friday night belly pics. I guess hes picked up a few poses!
Speaking of Colton and Chase, I have to share this ...
I've caught Colton talking to Chase a few times in the last week or two. One night he was in the bath and he was giving one of his wash clothes to Chase and telling him about bath time. Then, while he was out playing in the backyard the other night he was swinging and kept looking up to the top of his 4 story fort. I asked him what he was looking at and he said he was watching Chase play "up der". He said Chase was watching for airplanes. After he stopped swinging he started to carry around an imaginary baby, very carefully, in his arms. He took him everywhere he went for about 10 minutes. It melted my heart.
Life is too short...Enjoy every minute you have here on Earth. Don't take anything for granted...even the little things.

5 comments:

AmazingGreis said...

You look great!!!

Can not believe how big Colton is getting. Miss you all to pieces!!

XOXO

Lauri said...

I love reading all your updates. And I, too, have really been impacted by the loss of sweet Maddie. It's truly heartbreaking and I honestly can't imagine. Thank you for sharing her story and helping us sometimes-frustrated Moms to realize that we are truly blessed and need to cherish each moment with our kids, even the tough ones.

You look so great and yes, it's hard to believe you only have 3 more months! So exciting! I'm so glad you guys have been enjoying this gorgeous weather. And I'm just amazed reading about sweet Colton. He is growing up so fast!!

Kellie Staats said...

Chase is getting big in that belly.

Colton is also getting so big!!

We need to take some pictures of Mr. Colton soon.

Love you.

Becky said...

I love the pic of Colton posing for your 26 week picture. Can't wait to see you guys tonight!

Ginger @ GReads! said...

This was a great blog update! The picture of Colton at the bottom is priceless!!! It's so important to appreciate the little things. Love you <3!