Friday, September 12, 2008

IKE

It look as though Ike is headed straight for us! Last night I was certain that it would veer off to our east but I don't think that will be the case. The forecasters are saying that it doesn't even matter if it moves, the impact we will feel is going to be great no matter where it goes at this point. Most people in the Galveston area have followed directions and evacuated. Some have not. We are already hearing stories of people having to be rescued. Let me just take a minute to say that I think people who did not evacuate and follow the MANDATORY evacuation are CRAZY! The news keeps showing people out and about taking pictures of the hurricane rolling in. Last night, one station interviewed a lady out on the beach with her 6 children. All of the kids looked to be 7 and under. One was even small enough to be pushed down the beach in a stroller. (Which I'd imagine was not an easy task.) If you are going to stay and tough it out at least don't put your poor kids into harms way!

On the Galveston Seawall
(I think this lady is a little too close! I'd imagine she moved away after this scare!)
I know we prepare for hurricanes that never hit but I'd rather be safe than sorry and its just what you sign up for when you live so close to the coast. Each time a hurricane comes our way the news media makes it a huge deal, leading to wide spread panic. This time though, I feel, things have been very different. Yes we now have around the clock coverage but that just started yesterday. Before that, they were really playing the storm down. I heard one channel say they were afraid of "crying wolf". Nature is unpredictable, I guess you just don't know what will happen. We all know how reliable the weather is. People are finally realizing just how bad it might be. The pictures we are seeing are amazing considering that Ike is still about 12 hours from making landfall. The pictures I have posted are from Chron.com. Streets on Galveston Island are already underwater. Houses are already getting water in them. There has not even been rain in Galveston, this is just from the storm surge ahead of the storm. Its exciting to watch the news and see what is transpiring but I have to admit its getting a little scary.
(Keep in mind that the storm has NOT hit and there has been NO rain when you look at these two pictures.)
Mayor of Surfside
Galveston Island

I feel like our area will be safe but, again, you just never know. They are predicting 60-75 mph winds in our area. (We are about an hour - hour and a half drive from the coast.) Winds like that could do major damage, specially in older neighborhoods with large trees. We spent last night and this morning picking up outside and moving every little thing inside. I can hear the wind picking up outside and its starting to get a little dark. Zak is napping in preparation for a late night. He wants to stay up to watch/listen to the coverage tonight as the storm hits around midnight. I will update later if we don't loose power, which I imagine we will at some point. I don't want to see people get hurt. I don't want to see families loose all of their belongings. I am keeping everyone in Ikes path in my prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leah J. said...

You guys stay safe!!!

Kellie Staats said...

Be careful!!!

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

I hope you guys are doing ok! We miss you!