Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trying Something New!

Ok, so I have never been much of a cook. Its not that I cant cook, I think anyone can read a recipe, I just hate it. I really really dislike cooking. I hate planning meals, I hate deciding what to cook, I hate not having one important item for a meal and having to run to the store after work to get it. Zak has always been so great with my lack of cooking. He is a GREAT cook and cooks for me on the weekend. I can remember many nights where I would call him and say, "I'm too tired to cook. We are having fish sticks and mac and cheese." His response, "Sounds good! I'm craving that. " GOD BLESS HIM! Since I'm so luck to be home now I decided, just this week, that I was going to try really hard to do more cooking. ( I know I've been off work for like 4 months.) I want to expand my meal ideas for when I go back to work. So, this week I tried two new recipes I found in magazines. I also made an old favorite that I totally forgot about. Last night I even baked my favorite cookies. I thought I'd go ahead and share my recipes with you. I'm always up for discovering new EASY recipes. I usually don't make them but I always print them out and put them in my cook book. Let me tell you that these are quick, easy, and much healthier than fish sticks and mac and cheese. Don't let me fool you, we will still have fish sticks and mac and cheese in the rotation.

Chicken and Sage Mushroom Gravy
1 1/2 lbs thin slices chicken

1/4 tsp salt

1/4teaspoon black pepper

3 tbls veg. oil

10 oz mushrooms

2 tbls flour

1 can chicken broth

1/4 tsp dried sage

1/4 tsp nutmeg

noodles and green beans

1. Season chicken with 1/8 tsp of salt and pepper. 2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large skillet. Add chicken and saute on both sides until cooked. Remove to plate 3. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and mushrooms to skillet. Cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook 1 min. Gradually stir in broth. Add sage nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper. Simmer 2 minutes. Add chicken and simmer 2 minutes. 4. Serve with noodles and green beans.

Lemony Chicken and Orzo

This one doesn't look too appetising but it really was good. I think it was Zak's favorite of the week. I wanted to cook zucchini with it but when I went to the grocery store they were out of all the good veggies. Next time I make it I think Ill make it with sun ripened tomatoes.

4 bonless skinless chicken breast

1/2 tsp salt and pepper (each)

1 can chicken broth

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 tsp honey

2 1/2 tbsp low fat sour cream

3/4 cup orzo

1. Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute in skillet 2. Pour broth and lemon juice into pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover and reduce to medium heat for about 5 minutes. 3. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Increase heat to high and cook sauce for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; whisk honey and sour cream to broth. 4. Add 2 cups of water to pot and bring to boil. Add orzo and cook about 10 minutes or until pasta is soft and most of liquid has been absorbed. Stir chicken into mix.

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole (Weight Watchers recipe and the easiest meal EVER!)

1 lb extra lean ground beef

1 (15 oz) chunky tomato sauce

1 can refrigerated pizza crust dough

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425. 2. Cook meat in non stick skillet. Add tomato sauce and cook until heated. 3. Coat 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray (Do not forget this part!) Unroll pizza into dish making sure it covers sides. 4. Add meat and tomato sauce mixture. 5. Bake uncovered for 12 minutes. Top with cheese and bake anther 5 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.

Walnut Lace Cookies 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup walnuts

4 tbsp butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Heat oven to 350. 2. Line cookie sheet with foil. 3. Stir together dry ingredient. 4. Heat butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup to a boil on medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and flour mix. 5. Drop 1 level teaspoon of batter onto foil. Use back of spoon to spread (very very thinly) into a 2 inch round. Repeat with rounds 1 inch apart. 6. Bake 8 minutes or until tops are bubbly. 7. Cool on wire racks. Peel from foil when hard. (If they don't harden put back in over 2-3 minutes)

I HOPE YOU ENJOY!!! I'm going to try more next week!

4 comments:

Amazing Greis said...

Good job Martha...I mean Cat. I might have to try that pizza casserole soon!

Hugs!!!

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Those look yummy. I also hate figuring out what to cook, however, I really enjoy the actual cooking part! I will have to try these!

Tricia said...

I make that deep dish pizza often. Well, a similar version from Cooking Light. It is about the only thing I cook!

Leah J. said...

YUM!!! I am so in need of some new recipes!